Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I made it and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


What an awesome ending this homemade fabric softener turned out to have!!! I had many doubts about this homemade mixture but I am completely in love.  This is the softest my clothes have ever been!! I am amazed at the difference. I've always heard that store bought softeners tend to build up on clothes and also make your towels less absorbent...well...worry no more!!  I use it in my Downy ball and it works great.  I opted out of the essential oils for smell but I do not miss that at all.  I still use my fabric softener sheets...which I tend to cut in 1/2 (another money saver) and my clothes still smell great!!  If you have been thinking about trying a homemade mixture and have your doubts, then I highly recommend this be your first choice!! The recipe is below for those who missed it on my previous post.
 
 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup baking soda
3 cups distilled white vinegar
4 cups water, divided
Equipment:
Large plastic bucket to mix ingredients (non-metallic and larger than 1 gallon)
A plastic container to store your fabric softener (you can use an old milk jug, I used an empty fabric softener bottle)
Funnel
 
Instructions:
Measure 1/2 cup baking soda and place in a plastic bucket.
Add the 2 cups of water and mix with the baking soda.
VERY, VERY slowly add the vinegar to your bucket: the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz.
The add the remaining 2 cups of water and swirl to mix.
Using a funnel, transfer the softener to your storage container (pour slowly)
 
How to Use:
With the lid OFF your bottle, swirl the fabric softener to mix. For an older model machine, use 1 cup of fabric softener in the final rinse cycle. For a newer HE machine, use only 1/2 cup. This can be used in a downy ball.
Notes:
*NEVER swirl or shake your fabric softener with the lid on your bottle....it might explode
*You can add 2 or 3 drops of an essential oil for fragrance if you'd like before you add the softener to your machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment