Saturday, January 21, 2012

So after a success with the homemade Febreze, I will be attempting to make homemade dishwasher detergent tonight.  I have a dirty load ready in the dishwasher!!!For those who missed the homemade Febreze it is as follows:

1 oz of your favorite fabric softener
2 T baking soda
Fill to top of container with hot tap water

This recipe is for a 32oz bottle.  I used my empty Febreze bottle.

I have seen several variations of the homemade dishwasher detergent and have decided on the following recipe:

1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
½ cup table salt
½ cup Lemishine (double this if you have hard water)

Mix everything together and store in a plastic container. Use 1 Tbsp per load. Use white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment of your dishwasher to help keep your dishes from getting spotty.

I have seen some problems with clumping so we'll see how it goes.  I have also seen the recipe without the salt so I may try with salt first batch and without the second batch. 

I have always been a sceptic of these homemade recipes but after reading several blogs it looks like they just might work.  I figure if I don't like it then I can always go back to buying it already made at the store.  Looking at the comparisons of cost it definitely is a money saver and lets just be honest...who doesn't want to save a dollar or two.  Another bonus....less chemicals in our home.  I can't tell you how many times I've run my boys out of the bathroom while I'm cleaning because I don't want them getting the cleaning stuff on them.  If you're cleaning with more natural products like vinegar, baking soda and etc you can feel a little better about having your kids help you clean. 

I also recently cleaned my flat top stove with peroxide and baking soda...wow!! I never imagined how good that would work but boy it sure does make a difference!! I wish I had taken a photo before my first go round because the stove top was really bad when we moved in.  Due to the amount of baked on crud and not enough cleaning, it will take me several applications but I can already tell a difference.  Hey...I just might go snap a pic now so I can do a before and after photo.

So...update to follow tomorrow on how well the homemade dishwasher detergent works.

2 comments:

  1. Misty i have a homemade laundry detergent recipe if you are interested, of course you could just google it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for you to share it. I have seen several recipes including liquid and powder and would like to have someone who has used it first hand give me their recommendation.

    ReplyDelete