Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ham Delights

Pinned Image


So here's the first edition of "The Supper Plate"...."go to" weeknight recipes for weary moms looking to get supper on the table. 

After recently seeing one of my favorite childhood recipes posted on Pinterest I wondered why I hadn't made it for my kids.  I know them best as Ham Delights but on Pinterest they are called Ham and Cheese Sliders.  I'm sure you've seen them as a finger food at many a party but growing up my mom would make these for supper and boy were they a treat!!  Sometimes they would be on small rolls and other times she made them on hamburger rolls.  I went with Kings Hawaiian rolls becuase they are great alone much less as a ham delight!!  It is a very simple and quick recipe and if you think the poppy seeds would scare off the kids then just leave them out but my kids don't mind.  As a side I went with homemade potato chips.  I know what you're thinking already...really...homemade potato chips on a weeknight!  If you've never done them then you obviously don't know how quick and easy they are.  They are also a lot more tasty and Jeff can make his "floppy" and mine crisp.  Add seasoning salt while they are still hot and yummy!!

This is definitely a 30 min or less prep and cook and we will probably be seeing this meal at least once a week until the new wears off.

I would like to add that my good friend and co-worker, Sonya, made these with turkey and bacon instead of ham and she said they were great!!


Ham Delights

24 good white dinner rolls
24 pieces good honey ham
24 small slices Swiss cheese

Poppy seed sauce
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Place a slice of ham and a slice of Swiss inside of each roll. Close rolls and place them into a large baking dish or heavy cookie sheet. Place very close together.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the poppy seed sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over all of the sandwiches. You do not have to use all of the sauce! Just use enough to cover the tops. Let sit 10 minutes or until butter sets slightly. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes or until tops are slightly brown and crispy. Serve warm.

**I put some of the sauce inside the sandwiches also

** sandwiches can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the fridge ready to bake.


Homemade Potato Chips

Russet Potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced thin
Oil

Heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.  Drop in potatoes being sure not to overcrowd so they don't stick together.  Flip over as each side browns if necessary.  Remove from oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.



What's your "go to" weeknight meal?  I would love for you to share and you may be posted in "The Supper Plate".




1 comment: