Friday, May 4, 2012

Beautiful Poem for Mother's...Break out the tissues



I cried on my way to work this morning...... I was listening to HIS radio and heard this beautiful poem by Leslie.  Her daughter has graduated college and is venturing into the real world on her own.  I thought about my 2 boys and how the time flies.  Sometimes when I go in to wake them in the morning I stop for a minute and watch them sleep.  Take a moment to remember, we don't get these times back.  I thought about how I have already had some of these tests and how the Lord is preparing my heart to one day let my little boys be men.  Being a mother is a true gift given only by the Lord...hug your babies tight and take advantage of them still wanting to sit in your lap or snuggle with you in the dark.  Listen when they talk, laugh with them, snuggle with them, kiss and hug them and always take every opportunity to tell them you love them!!!



The Letting Go Test
by Leslie Nease
Nine months of growth inside of my womb
And in what seemed like an instant, she was there in the room
My heart was just bursting – I could barely compose
As I looked her over intently and counted fingers and toes
Eleven days later, I remember so well
Was my first "letting go test" – her umbilical cord fell
The pain in my heart, I could not ignore
As I realized this test was the first of many more
I nursed her eight months, and then it was time to move on
So I gave her some cereal – yet another era gone
When she was five, it was time to let go again
As I walked her to the school bus, she wore a huge grin
"Oh, God! Please protect her! I cannot be there.
But I trust you are with her and you'll keep her in your care!"
And I was grinning, also, though my heart broke in two
As I watched my little girl learn to tie her own shoe
Little by little my girl needed me less
As she picked out her clothes and got herself dressed
A few months later, she lost her first tooth
(I cried like a baby, if you want to know the truth!)
This "letting go test" was a challenge indeed
When she took the story book from me and started to read
I blinked and in an instant I realized much time had passed
As she went off to middle school – she was growing so fast!
The "letting go test" intensified, I remember with dread
When I drove her to the DMV, and she drove me home instead!
Her face lit up with excitement as we handed her the keys
And she drove off alone as I dropped to my knees
"Oh, God! Please protect her! I cannot be there.
But I trust you are with her and you'll keep her in your care!"
My prayers were more often and more intense, I must confess
As she was gone more often now, and I saw her much less
My girl was growing up and I was completely shook
As she picked her favorite photos for her Senior Yearbook
And just a few months later, my girl turned eighteen
A young woman she was becoming now – what a sight to be seen!
"God, where did the time go?" I began to pray
As our family dressed up for Graduation Day.
She walked across the stage with her head held high
And as she took her diploma, I began to cry
But these tears were so different, more like tears of delight
My girl was a woman now and she was going to be alright
All the "letting go tests" that I'd had over the years
Helped me let go, trust God and release all my fears
The "tests" were sent by Him to prepare my mom-heart
For the ultimate test – when we'd begin to live apart
The day quickly approached and we loaded up the car
We drove her to college – it just seemed so far
We unloaded her things and we hugged her goodbye
And I tried not to do it but I couldn't help but cry
This "letting go test" was the hardest test yet
The drive home was long – one I'll never forget
But the sadness I feel is not the same as before
I feel such joy for her – there's so much in store!
"Oh, God! Please protect her! I cannot be there.
But I trust you are with her and you'll keep her in your care!"

No comments:

Post a Comment