It had been a while since I made this cake but when a friend needed a cake this past week it was the first one to come to mind. Coca Cola, chocolate and pecans....Cake of the South!!!!!!!!! The best part......getting to clean out the icing pot alone...kids were in the bed!!!
Classic Cola Cake
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup cola soft drink
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13 pan.
2. Arrange chopped pecans on a single layer shallow pan and bake 8-9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Save for later.
3. Combine cola and buttermilk.
4. Beat butter at low speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat at low speed just until blended.
5. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternating with the cola mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition just until blended. Stir in marshmallows and pour in pan.
6. Bake at 350 for 35-40 min or until done. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
7. Pour cola icing over warm cake and sprinkle with toasted pecans.
Classic Cola Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cola drink
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 (16oz) box of powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Use immediately.