Thursday, September 13, 2012

In That Moment...Confusion




Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Prov 22:6



So as I was standing in the quietness, except for the snoring coming from my sweet beagle Daisy Mae, of my kitchen early this morning I started to think about confusion and parenting.  I know…you’re thinking…that’s right…I’m a parent and I’m confused.  I was thinking about what we do in our daily lives as a parent that confuses our children in their walk with the Lord.  Let’s take music for instance, you teach your child about only letting things in their ears that please the Lord but turn on music that is obviously not pleasing to the Lord.  In that moment you confuse your child.  It reminds me  of a good friend who once was questioned by her child when she didn’t speak up to another person who cursed.  She said “Mom, you tell us to stand up and say something.  Why didn’t you?”   Convicting…I know.  In that moment…confusion.    It really started to convict my heart and the Lord opened my eyes to the things in my daily life that may be confusing my child.  “Do as I say and not as I do”……Confusion.  If we really want our children to learn about how to walk with the Lord then we should live it daily.  I’m not saying we won’t trip and fall occasionally but what I am saying is that we should strive to do our best for the sake of our children.   Recognize those opportunities and use them to teach your children.  On our recent trip to Disney we had a very rude couple sit behind us and in anger I was rude back to them yet I teach my boys to treat others the way they would like to be treated.  In that moment…confusion.  When it was over I apologized to my boys and explained why I shouldn’t have done what I did.  If we are teaching our children to read their bible and pray shouldn’t we be modeling that behavior?  Every night my hubby tucks the boys in to bed by reading them the bible.  Recently he has started helping them memorize Proverbs 1 and as I listen to them recite each word I realize how blessed I am to have such 2 beautiful, happy and healthy boys.  I pray the Lord continues to open my eyes about areas in my life that may cause my boys to stumble so I can strive to be what He made me to be…His child.



No comments:

Post a Comment