Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Busy Mom's Lasagna

 
 
 
If you are anything like me weeknight suppers can get exhausting.  After working, ballgames and homework I don't always have a lot of energy left for supper time.  This meal is such a quick throw together and it freezes really well.  If you think ahead of time and can make it the night before it is even quicker the next evening.  This recipe will make 2 small lasagnas so I put one in the freezer and we eat one.
 
 
 
Busy Mom's Lasagna
 
1 box of lasagna noodles (not the oven ready kind)
2 jars of Ragu, flavor of your choice ( I use garlic/onion and tomato basil )
1 medium container of small curd cottage cheese
1 bag each of Mozzarella, Mexican Blend, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar shredded cheese
1 1/2 lbs hamburger meat, browned and drained
 
Here is my tip on cooking hamburger meat.  I have a large micro-cooker from Pampered Chef that I cook my hamburger meat in with water.  It crumbles apart so nice and fine and the lid is a strainer so I can strain off the water and grease easily.  Just put your meat in with water about 1/3 way up, pop in microwave, cook for 2-3 min, crumble with fork and then finish cooking for another 2-3 min.  This is what one looks like:
 
 
 
I haven't cooked hamburger meat stove top since I bought this years ago.  You will not regret getting one.  Moving on........
 
 
Boil noodles and sit to the side.  How many noodles you boil is really up to the size of your dish but I boil about 12-15 noodles.  Sit to the size.
 
Mix together your cooked meat and the 2 jars of Ragu. Sit to the side.
 
Mix together the cottage cheese and a blend of all the cheeses leaving about 1/2 cup of cheese in each bag for the top of the lasagna.  Basically looks like this:
 
 
 
After this it is a basic layering process.  Put a little sauce on the bottom of your dish, then noodles, sauce, cheese mixture and repeat.  After last layer of cheese mixture cover with remaining shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 for 45 min - 1 hour.  You may have to cover the top with foil near the end of baking to prevent the top from browning too much.
 
 
 
 
I took a picture of both lasagnas I made from this recipe so you can tell the sizes it makes. Hope you enjoy!!!!
 
 
Check it out - Post featured at The Shabby Creek Cottage link party!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and EASY! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you joined my linky party! I am loving your awesome recipes. My family will love this. Working full-time, I am always on the lookout for quick meals. This is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete