Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Learning to Love Without Boundaries

 
 
Prov 19:17 - He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the Lord; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
 
So there I am, with my 2 boys, sitting at a red light with a homeless man on the corner. What's my first thought...honestly...he's trying to get money for alcohol or drugs. You know you've had that thought a million times. A million times you've passed that homeless person on the street with complete judgment....judgment we really don't deserve to be giving. I turned right when the light flipped to green and immediately the Lord washed me over with an immense feeling of shame. Who am I to judge that man when if it wasn't for the grace of our almighty God I could be standing right where he was? I felt shame for not reaching out and being an example in front of my boys. What I had just taught my boys was to turn a blind eye and not have compassion. I immediately found a turnaround spot, told my boys we were headed to McDonalds to grab that man a meal and going back. Zack immediately chimes in with what we need to get him to make sure he gets full and Charlie offers his unopened pack of gummies from the backseat. It then occurs to me....a child doesn't immediately think the thoughts I had about what that man may do with money but instead a child is taught that way of thinking. Somewhere down the line someone has said to us...most people standing on those street corners really just want your money to go to the liquor store and to be honest, some are, but that is not up to us to decide. Fortunately due to the nature of our rescue mission, our boys have never been subjected to the harsh reality of how some people end up homeless.  All they need to know is that they are in need and it is our responsibility as a Christian to help.  I’m not asking you to hand money to every homeless person on the corner but what I am saying is to stop and think about what you can do.  I’ve seen “Blessing Bags” posted on Pinterest, which is actually an awesome idea, and today I thought it might be a good idea to keep $5.00 gift cards to McDonalds in my glove box.  You could easily attach a gospel tract to a gift card and then you will feel better about not handing them straight out cash.  I am proud to say that my boys see people in need as no different than us and I pray it stays that way.  When they accompany Jeff on a rescue mission to take clothes or food to someone homeless or in need they walk in with their full heart.  You have what those people need…the news of Jesus Christ.  People seem to listen more intent when you’re standing there with what they need temporarily.  Unfortunately, the gentleman had left the corner before we got back.  I’m praying someone picked him up to help him get to the shelter.  I still feel guilty that I didn’t take the opportunity when I had it.  I must caution women…because I know my husband will read this…you cannot put yourself in the same places a man can, so be careful if you plan on handing out food or other items.
 
Prov 14:31 - He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment