Friday, October 12, 2012

Old Things Are Passed Away

 
 
 
Passing by this spot just a few weeks back brought a tear to my eye.  I've passed the Old General Store in Cowpens, SC a million times over and never once considered the thought that it might not always be there.  I understand that it is just an old empty building with little to no use now but something inside me twinged a little that day.  I looked over at my Nanny with a little frown and said "When did they start doing that?"  Her answer back was enough to make me smile as it included not just the answer I was looking for but a great little walk back in history as well.  As I drove back home I stopped just a minute to take a look and the Lord used the moment to open my eyes to cleaning up the useless things in my life to make room for the things He can use.
 
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new 2 Cor 5:17


I started looking at my life...the little things...the big things...the useless things...the useful things.  What was I allowing to use up space in my life that the Lord could be using for His glory?  What is taking up the time I should be using to pray, read my bible or minister to a friend?  Am I prepared to tear down some of the old to make room for the new?

I am certain that the space that building occupies will be filled with something useful and beautiful.  I look forward to seeing it next time I cross the railroad tracks and pass the old mill and I pray the Lord uses that space to remind me to make room for the new.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mimi...Just wanted to make sure you got my comment through your Contact Me button. I was a little skeptical about it since it wouldn't let me finish what I was writing and I had to cut it short!! ~Deanna PS It was about the Mug Swap!

    ReplyDelete